Wednesday 10 February 2010

...and back.

Okay, so I joined the 21st Century and started a Facebook page and quite a lot of "friends" jumped aboard. However, no one really talked to me or gave me any info on the state of the industry in Nova Scotia. I hope this doesn't turn out the last time when I went to bed one night and everybody un-friended me. I couldn't take that pain again. After all, I'm here because of you all!

Irregardless, I will share some tidbits I've picked up but first I'll introduce my editor, the irrascable Lunchmeat Herold. (ed. howdy!)

LOL, that gets me everytime.

The first funding deadline has elapsed for the FilmNS money slots. It'll be interesting to see who all is out there looking to leverage the taxpayer's money. Last year the highest benificiary was Halifax Film (ed. Full disclosure, the blogger owns 1000 shares in HFX/DHX/Studio B/tbd) and in 2nd place was Ocean Entertainment. Though I can't see how cooking shows will return an investment better than a one shot spelling bee. (ed. Yeah, I can't see one beating the other over cash sales, either).

So we'll see how the funding shakes out in the next month or so. I hope Halifax Film gets some provincial funding. That with money from a broadcaster, CTF and tax credits will keep our cash flow, flowing and hopefully we won't have to touch our cash (ed. $70-ish million). Last year the Hfx Film principals forewent (ed. past present of forego) any bonus's. Luckily the province stepped up with overhead and and producer fees to cover the basic, down to the floor, no bonus's (ed. said that.) salaries of the executives. Michael Donovan, Charles "The Green Arrow" Bishop, Dana Landry and David Reagan. Reagan (ed. Ragan, Regan, Rogan?) had to even sell his house, for the love of god! Oh, and there's some other guy in Toronto who makes more but that's because he's from Toronto. But a Million + is small potaoes compared to , um, someone else who makes more money.

So hopefully the province will "do the right thang" as Spike Jones would say and cough up. And I'm sure something will be made for CBC.

Anyways, the only projects I've heard on the go are:

- "Whirlygig", another Chaz Thorne joint. (ed. How about a variety headline "Chaz's Latest Gig a Whirly!" I have no idea what this is about. Sounds like it could be a circus movie or hookers at a boy scout jambouree.

- "The Corridor", written bu Josh MacDonald, directed by Evan Kelly and produced by Beverly Bliss. I have no idea who these people are bt a movie about a hallway doesn't sound that exciting.

- "The Berzerkers: Men of Dignity", Something from the mind of Michael Clattenberg (ed. but, but...what happens to Bubbles?). I have no idea if this is a feature, a series, video game or Michael's neighbours on acid (ed. Should you really be writing a column?)

- "Hobo With a Shotgun" - Jason Eisener made a trailer that Quinton Terrantino liked. So now it's a movie?

From the "Where are they Now" Column; Jay Dahl's scary thing; Paul Donovan's "The Conclave", Paul Kimball's Eternal Kiss"? Waiting gentlemen. I think you could learn from Michael Donovan about how to say he's going to make a movie, go out and make a movie and then...do some other stuff after the movie doesn't do as good as it should have with the stupid public who needed a Rwanda movie after the otehr ones. their loss. Loosers.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Paul Kimball said...

Jay's film is done. Mine is in post audio, and will be ready in three weeks.

You should just ask us. ;-)

Paul