Wednesday 13 May 2015

Happy Days for NS Film Industry!

Well, that was a tense few weeks but everything turned out all the better.  Here with my editor Lunchmeat Harold (ed. Howdy!)

I was really worried when Diana Whalen announced she was ditching the Film and TV tax credit.  I though my 1000 shares of DHX would end up being worthless (ed. or just slightly less.)  But when Michael Donovan told the industry people not to get too excited or upset, he was right.  Turns out the tax credit is now richer than ever and it's unlimited, no cap!

Of course I'm talking about animation only.  But I wish all the live action people good luck with your things.

It's truly a sign that it's politics as usual in the province and that's good for everyone.  (ed.  Well, not everyone.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I"m afraid you may be misinformed. There is a fixed amount committed to the FTC as it stands now, with the agreement to consider each application after that amount has been used. That's all the Gov't is saying. My feeling
is that we may be in for a surprise at that point, as in that is all that the gov't ever intended to spend and we'll all be SOL. The future is very uncertain. A project went down today that had funding in place, because the cfa producer had no confidence the climate here. I suspect that the NSBI office not being up to speed yet is the primary cause. No one to administer the FTC. No functioning film office. Very sad state of affairs.
In my opinion, John Wessley Chisolme, Graham Steele Thom Fitzgerald, Jay Dahl, Marc Almon & Scott Simpson can give you good information.
Best,
Rob Eshelby