Tuesday 6 November 2007

Hi Honey, I'm Hom-o!

This was the payoff to a joke I wrote years ago about a guy who comes home from work one day and in a spontaneous gesture decides to out himself to his wife. Maybe the build-up wasn't worth the pay-off but really, the Air Farce turned it down?

And before you jump on me for using the term "Homo", we're reclaiming ownership of the word! (ed. who? the heteros?).

And you will note that I spelled it with a dash. Why you ask? Well, I've noticed that a lot of people who find my blog have been googling "kicked in the balls". Now I'm sure they're not looking for the story I commented on a few months ago. I'm not sure what they are looking for, exactly. Well, I guess I know what, I just don't know why. Most of these searches come from Germany. So I thought I would save a whole bunch of guys from looking through my blog for pictures that aren't here.

Anyhoo, as was repeated in weeks past, DHX Halifax Film Factory has been price-ranged out of their home away from home, the Electropolis Films studio.

Electropolis was a former power substation on the Halifax waterfront that was convereted into a soundstage with millions of Federal and Nova Scotiian tax payer dollars. Salter Street Film used the space quite a bit for Lexx and other intelectually stimulating properties, than a totally new animal Halifax Film Ltd. bought the company that operated the sound stage and rented it out to Halifax Film Ltd. (ed. I'm a little dizzy) This was all done on behalf of the owners Nova Scotia Power Inc who agreed to a less than fair market value rent for ten years. Now ten years later, those power hungry (ed. and full) owners want to charge Halifax Film Company full market rent? (ed. excuse me, do they not know what province they're in? Unless there's government subsidies available, we're out!)

And so we are. Even the NDP stepping up to bat, couldn't convince the gov't to chip in. (ed. chuckle)

allnovascotia.com and Playback announced that Halifax Film is moving production facilities from Electropolis to a building beside CBC radio.

We (ed. note, the writer owns 1000 shares of DHX/Halifax Film), are not disloyal. We are cost concious. And when you think about it, do we really need 50 ft high ceilings for drugged out animators to manipulate their tiny figurines? I think not. So with their (ed. "our!") employees in mind we are moving from the rat infested waterfront to...beside the CBC which I'm sure will be vastly different. As VP David Regan notes, the employees will now actually have windows to look out off. But do we want them looking out windows fantasizing about the day they can pitch their own superhero/alien/laugh fest cartoon that's going to compete with our staid and true puppet/animation thingys? Let's not start spoiling them now. Next they'll be wanting 12 hour days, time off for funerals, and washrooms!

At least they're not going to be within a smell of DHX/Halifax Film Factory World Headquarters on Spring Garden Road, sitting above a ...yes...Starbucks!

So, I don't want to be trading inside, whatever that means, but its all good news! So let's get that share price up from today's $1.70!

Meanwhile, its been a very hectic week here. Last week Carly, my roommate quietly went to her room for a few days to sleep, after a nasty reaction to some antibiotics (ed. see previous blog).

On the 31st she emerged from her bedroom wearing a filthy robe, someone elses's pajama's ,with her hair all bunched up from sweat. I, oblivious in retrospect, asked her what her Halloween costume was. She told me she was a cold turkey, but I really didn't want to look at her giblets.

The albino monkey that arrived last week (ed. Ya know when you type/read this stuff it sounds weird) for my sister's Brazillian boyfriend, easily escaped it's cage and spent the week hanging out with Carly, watching Fox news and biffing food around the place. (ed. Apparently there was a lot of vomit and poo flung about, but we can't totally blame that on the monkey.)

By Friday I had enough. I opened the patio doors and threw a Bud Light over the railing (ed. the monkey's favourite and no loss to us, really, we have water.)

The monkey scrambled over the patio railing and I quickly closed the doors. I'm not a cruel man. I know the monkey will be fine, mostly because we are near St. Mary's and Dalhousie University and there are many who would assume that's he's merely a freshman and throw food at him. As long as he doesn't sign for a student loan, his future is secure.

No comments: