Wednesday 3 October 2007

Halifax Film Company Made Me Rich!

Well, the financials for Halifax Film Company (aka DHX) are out and kapow! am I ever glad I didn't trade my shares with Maurice for his "slightly used" laptop. As regular readers are aware, my Father left me 1000 shares of DHX stock earlier this year when it was trading at $1.40. Now the shares are up to $1.93! This calls for Quarter Pounders with cheese tonight as a treat. Dammit, I'm getting fries too!

DHX's nine month ending March 31, 2007 results are likely what caused the increase and who would not be thrilled with those numbers. Though I don't understand a lot of the accountant's mumbo Jumbo, the report states that Revenues were up 216%! That is almost double!

The written part of the report (I had to skim most of it or fall asleep at my trusty keyboard) was joyously optomistic when it talked of the past 9 months and the future of the company. There's all kinds of new shows being produced like a show for YTV called "Clang!" Kids love that sound! It`s a Canada/Hong Kong/Singapore co-production. And I'm guessing the Hong Kongians and Singaporians are putting in the "sweat equity" and not for the money grubbing rates that animators in Canada and Korean demand! Hey, draw some food! ha! And really by hiring asian workers to create our Canadian content we are making their lives so much better. It's not like they would want a Starbucks coffee, even if they could afford it.

Anyway, in a previous blog it was noted that DHX may lose their production facilities "Electropolis" because the owner wants to charge them outrageous market rate rent instead of the below market rate Halifax Film needed these last ten years to scrabble togther a living. Luckily the company as able to make some money from third parties such as the Films Outlander and Slevin. They helped bring in $215,000. Rent was $50,000/month so thats,um, $215,000 - 50,000 X 9 = um, just a sec. MINUS $235,000! No wonder Michael Donovan is calling his landlord unfair. If on top of that he had to pay rent for the productions Bo on the Go, Lunar Jim, Mighty Jungle, Animal Mechanicals..well, you're taking the fries right out of my mouth, people.

Oh, and I finally saw Shake Hands With the Devil. My friend Maurice videotaped it at the theatre, but before you jump all over me, remember I'm unable to leave the aprtment so I probably would have had to wait a week before it finished its theatrical run in Canada and went to DVD.

I thought the film was very well made (although, Maurice, a little less camera shake next time. I can't believe you were looking for milk duds in your pocket all that time.) Horrifying story but well acted by Roy Dupreis (?) Other than him I didn't see a lot of Canadian content or Nova Scotia crew involved. oh well, those tax credits aren't so picky anymore.

I'll be back with more blogging later. My sister Stella and her Brazillian boyfriend are finally moving out, thank God! I'll have the place to myself without having worry about finding a puddle of their combined bodily fluids everywhere. Really, in the fridge? How? Why? Never mind.

I'm helping them pack to hurry them out the door. But still, I don't know how I'm going to pay the rent by myself. May have to leverage my stocks somehow.

No comments: