Tuesday 1 May 2007

Chaos Reigns

Okay, I haven't blogged lately as things have been happening at a rate too fast for me to keep up with. Our normally placid apartment has been inundated with a Brazilian. Stella's exchange student showed up two or three days ago (I can't keep track, I've been unable to sleep since.)

After he slept for 24 hours (jet lag, culture shock, intestinal parasites raging through his system and multiplying, waiting for me to go to sleep so they can invade my crevices like out of some lost episode of Night Gallery?!), he awoke, got dressed in the finest italian suit I've seen east of ...Italy and left the apartment. (?)

A brief solitary respite for me before Stella, my sister, arrived home from Kamloops and our father's funeral. I was barely able to describe to her the chaos that was happening here when she broke down sobbing, distraught over dear old daddy's passing. How could I not roll my eyes at this sight? After all, our Father languised all of two minutes of attention on her in her lifetime, and I'm not counting the time he came home drunk, and tripped over her when she was 1, which explains one of the dents in her head.

But then her Brazillian soon had our undivided attention. The rest of this I was able to get from Stella, she does speak Spanish (or Portugese. It all sounds the same and I know I can just look it up on the net but...so very tired).

It turns out that Carl (she said that's the english equivalent of his name) was raised in the interior rain forest of Brazil for the first 16 years of his life. But then his family sold said rainforest for Billions! Who knew bushmen had the concept of money, never mind that they're ruthless negotiators?

Anyway, the rainforest is being mowed down to make chopsticks and monkey hats while Carl and his family acquired a taste for 21st Century civilization. They jetsetted around the world, buying condos, cars and faded celebrities (his father was chuffed he was able to acquire Charo for so little money. Wait'll he unwraps that!)

But Carl's Mother demanded that the children receive an education. How they decided he should come to St. Mary's University in Halifax, will have to wait for another time.

So, we have a houseguest for the summer who is a mix of the new (we now have a HUGE flatscreen tv!) and the old. (Carl ate one of the giant parrots that he hd shipped from home. Even when he was bludgening it, it refused to talk. Really, these parrots would have kept things from the cia and the marines!)

Stella and Carl have gone out for coffee, (he drinks about 5 gallons a day) taking Biscuithead for a walk. I want to sleep but that big screen tv is calling.

No comments: