Monday 28 May 2007

WTF?

The last week has been a series of up's and downs here in the apartment. My sister's exchange student tenant/boyfriend, Carl, has vanished. Into thin air. I know the word "literally" is overused by the media but in this case...

Now I know Carl grew up in the jungles of Brazil and probably knows how to vanish into the underbrush at the first sign of danger from a McCaw or whatever, but he was living here with us in southend Halifax (ed. some would say that's jungle like).

Okay, but when you're fleeing for your life you don't grab the the big screen HD tv and DVD/VCR player with you when you scurry into the underbrush! Crap, I even suspected this was going to happen and put windchimes on the suckers. Not a tinkle.

Sigh.

So here I sit with my sister Stella, who's constantly complaining about the infarction in her leg, whatever that is, watching basic cable on a puny 27" screen that I'm sure even the natives in Borneo would scoff at, especially during world cup!

Anyhoo, I was happy to see that my stock in DHX (Halifax Film Company) has gone up.
My 1000 shares are now worth $1.65 each! But, then I found this little notice hidden away after all the 3rd quarter "parade of happiness".


"Wednesday May 16, 11:33 am ET


In press release c9498 sent today at 2:00e, errors occurred in the column headings of the Consolidated Statements of Operations and Deficit and the Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows, as well as in Notes (number sign) 6, 13, 14 and 15 of the Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements. They all reference "three-months ended", but the last two columns on the far right should read "nine-months ended". Corrected copy follows:"

Oh, that's okay. Mistakes will happen. I once put a quarter in the parking meter next to mine. So for 25 cents, a neighbourfriend (ed. friend you don't know) gets a freebie. Good for him.

But really, this is like, sorry officer, I thought I was doing 100 kms but apparently I was doing 200 million!

Do the people putting these figures together for the Toronto and London stock exchange realize that this is important?

Now I don't know much about the number crunching but if anyone were to stay awake while reading the financial statements (I haven't slept well in a long time, anyway), they would notice that the income/revenue that were trumpeted so highly for three months were actually for nine months. Sorta like your girlfriend, saying "that was Fantastic!!!", but she meant "wow, that was okay, considering the time involved, you know ....." The ....'s are her's, you know how they trail off. ...

No comments: