Sunday 29 April 2007

Coming Up Rosie

With my mind free to wander I was thinking back to a show I used to watch years ago. I think there was a creative buildup in the CBC in the '70's that could only manifest itself in kid's show. Though I was a "grown-up" I watched a show called Coming Up Rosie on the CBC and I distinctly remember Dan Ackroyd as Mr. Bickel (sic) as the superintendant of the building all the characters lived in. Soon after I watched him with relish on SNL. Also on the show was John Candy as Wally Wipperzpperchuck (sic).

I did not know until I googled (having learned my lesson about asking people) the show, Catherine O'Hara was also on the show as well as Fiona Reid. (Fiona, "King of Kensington" Reid is an excellent actress and a gracious person in person.).

Yet all the history and books I've read about these creative people (Paul Schaffer was Godspell) is this show mentioned. I'm sure the CBC would have troted it out except for that nasty subject of right to all the actors.

Anyway, my Google research led me to a show called Dr. Zonk and the Zunkins. I'd never heard of this show. I've copied the cast list below.


John Candy
Robin Eveson ... Billy Meek
Dan Hennessey
Robert McKenna (as Bob McKenna)
Rosemary Radcliffe
Gilda Radner
Fiona Reid

If only a(n) (il)legal version were to show itself on the web somehow. And that cool CBC computer let us know about it.
John Stocker

No comments: